Healthy Teacher Network
The Healthy Teacher Network is a strategic vehicle to assist and empower teachers in their efforts to create healthy school environments.
- Create a network where teachers, service providers, and health experts share ideas and best practices for obesity prevention in schools.
- Provide tools, resources, and training for teachers to successfully implement activities to promote healthy lifestyles, including our 5-4-3-2-1 Go!® message.
- Support teachers advocating for policies, curricula, and programs to create a healthy school environment.
- Share research that demonstrates the importance of healthy eating and physical activity as integral to student academic success.
CLOCC and Schools Interest Group partners host professional development workshops, under the umbrella of Healthy Teachers Network, for school staff to provide hands-on training opportunities for members. Different topics, presenters, and tools are provided at each workshop so participants never have the same experience twice.
Workshops have been city-wide regional or neighborhood-focused. Components can include:
- Interactive presentations led by physical activity and nutrition service providers
- Guest speakers such as the staff from CPS Office of Student Health & Wellness, academics and other teachers
- Resource fairs as a venue for for teachers and school staff to connect with organizations that provide programs, services, and/or curricula that promote healthy eating and physical activity
Benefits to Participants
- Earn professional development credits (1 CPDU per hour of workshop)
- Meet and connect with healthy eating and physical activity service providers that offer free or low-cost programs to schools
- Become a leader in school health and wellness promotion
Sign up to receive notices about upcoming Healthy Teacher Network Workshops and monthly emails about the latest information about the Healthy Teacher Network.
We are also always looking for new ideas, topics, and themes for future workshops. If you or your organization has a program or resource that you would like to share with schools, join the Schools Interest Group and share your ideas for expanding the Healthy Teacher Network.