Healthy Teacher Network
The Healthy Teacher Network assists and empowers teachers in their efforts to create healthy school environments.
- Create a network where teachers, service providers, and health experts share ideas and best practices for obesity prevention in schools.
- Provide tools, resources, and training for teachers to successfully implement activities to promote healthy lifestyles, including our 5-4-3-2-1 Go!® message.
- Support teachers advocating for policies, curricula, and programs to create a healthy school environment.
- Share research that demonstrates the importance of healthy eating and physical activity as integral to student academic success.
The Healthy Teacher Network hosts professional development workshops for school staff to provide hands-on training opportunities for members. Different topics, presenters, and tools are provided at each workshop so participants never have the same experience twice.
Workshops have included:
Resource Fair: An opportunity for teachers and school staff to connect with organizations that provide programs, services, and/or curricula that promote healthy eating and physical activity.
Keynote Presentations and Special Activities: Keynote speakers address hot topics regarding childhood obesity prevention in schools; special activities include school tours and cooking demonstrations.
- “Thank you for providing these wonderful learning activities. You are helping us to improve the lives of our students.”
- “I have new ideas for my classroom to try tomorrow.”
- “Thank you for an excellent workshop and invaluable networking opportunity.”
- “It was great to learn about what other teachers and other schools are doing.”
Benefits and Results
- Attend workshops and earn up to 3 professional development credits (1 CPDU per hour of workshop)
- Meet and connect with healthy eating and physical activity service providers that offer free or low-cost programs to Chicago schools
- Become leaders in their school around health and wellness promotion and role models to other educators looking to address obesity prevention in their schools
Sign up to receive notices about upcoming Healthy Teacher Network Workshops and monthly emails about the latest information about the Healthy Teacher Network.
We are also always looking for new ideas, topics, and themes for future workshops. If you or your organization has a program or resource that you would like to share with schools, here are a few more ways to participate:
- Join the School Systems Interest Group and share your ideas for expanding the Healthy Teacher Network
- Promote the Healthy Teacher Network by distributing the informational flyer and form with friends and colleagues
- In the past we have invited organizations to lead breakout sessions at the workshops when appropriate. Review the Breakout Session Guidelines and complete the application if you are interested in leading a breakout session at a future workshop
- Share materials about your program, services, or grant opportunities at future workshop Resource Fairs by completing the Resource Fair Application