The Consortium to Lower Obesity in Chicago Children (CLOCC) is a nationally recognized childhood obesity prevention program. Our mission is to confront the childhood obesity epidemic by promoting healthy and active lifestyles for children throughout the Chicago metropolitan area. CLOCC creates and sustains the types of multi-sector collaboration recommended by our nation’s health leaders.
Since 2002, CLOCC has built a vital, broad-based network of thousands of participants and organizations. Currently, there are over 3,000 participants in CLOCC representing over 1,200 organizations. We are data-driven and evidence-based, committed to building capacity among our partners. The Institute of Medicine, the U.S. Surgeon General, the American Medical Association, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have recognized CLOCC as an outstanding community obesity prevention model. Our strategies include environmental change, public education, advocacy, research, outcome measurement, and program evaluation. CLOCC is housed at the Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago.
In January, 2013, CLOCC released the Blueprint for Accelerating Progress in Childhood Obesity Prevention in Chicago: The Next Decade. Read more about it here.
For more information on CLOCC and its work:
- Using the Media to Promote Adolescent Well-Being, Policy Brief by The Future of Children, Spring 2008
- Adam B. Becker, Matt Longjohn, Katherine Kaufer Christoffel, Taking on childhood obesity in a big city: Consortium to Lower Obesity in Chicago Children (CLOCC), Progress in Pediatric Cardiology, Volume 25, Issue 2, Advances in Childhood Obesity, September 2008, Pages 199-206, ISSN 1058-9813, DOI: 10.1016/j.ppedcard.2008.05.004. (link)
- Becker AB, Christoffel KK, Morales MA, et.al. Combating Childhood Obesity through a Neighborhood Coalition: Community Organizing for Obesity Prevention in Humboldt Park. In: Benjamins MR, Shah AM, Whitman S, eds. Urban Health Combating Disparities with Local Data. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 2011:171-196.
View journal articles written/co-written by CLOCC staffers here.
Find information about consultation and technical assistance here.
CLOCC is a member of the following organizations:
- National Policy & Legal Analysis Network to Prevention Childhood Obesity
(National Advisory Board)
- National Alliance for Nutrition and Activity
- National Food Marketing Work Group
- Illinois Alliance to Prevent Obesity
- Illinois Early Learning Council, Systems Integration and Alignment Committee
(Health Subcommittee Co-Chair)
- Illinois Safe Routes to School State Network
- Illinois Food and Nutrition Advocacy Partnership
- State of Illinois Recess in Schools Task Force
- Healthy Kids, Healthy Communities Chicago
- City of Chicago Inter-Departmental Task Force on Childhood Obesity