10 Year Anniversary
2012 was CLOCC's 10 year anniversary! We celebrated throughout the year with special events and activities to commemmorate this important milestone.
Promoting our Anniversary -
Each quarter, we focused on a specific area of our work:
First Quarter: Data and Research
- Read Executive Director Adam Becker's blog post highlighting our data and research past, present, and plans for the future.
- Read a guest blog post on a successful project that started as a Seed Grant by Dr. Amy Bohnert from Loyola University. See how she planted a seed (grant) and watched it grow from a pilot project to a fledgling business venture.
- The March 21 Quarterly Meeting focused on data and research - see the keynote presentation from Dr. Terry Huang here.
Second Quarter: Community Partnerships
- Read Adam's blog post highlighting our community partnerships - past, present, and into the future.
- Community partners can enter the We are CLOCC photo contest for a chance at winning $2,500 for their organization. Congratulations to May's monthly winner, American Diabetes Association, and June's monthly winner, Better Boys Foundation! See the monthly winners here.
- There was a 5-4-3-2-1 Go! community training at Loyola Park on June 1. The next training will be in the fall - date and location to be announced.
- The June 19 Quarterly Meeting focused on community interventions to promote healthy living and obesity prevention.
- 5-4-3-2-1 Go! launched a Twitter feed - find it here.
- Read a blog post catching up with members of the Go Team, high school students who promoted the 5-4-3-2-1 Go! message across Chicago from 2006 - 2008.
Third Quarter: Unique Partnerships
- Read Adam's blog post highlighting some of our unique partnerships, including clinical, policy, corporate, and schools.
- Congratulations to this quarter's winners in the We are CLOCC photo contest - Urban Initiatives in July and PCC Community Wellness Center in August. See the monthly winners here.
Fourth Quarter: The Future of Childhood Obesity Prevention in Chicago
- Read Adam's blog post featuring the highlights of our anniversary year and thoughts on the future of childhood obesity prevention in Chicago.
- In honor of our 10 year anniversary, Mayor Rahm Emanuel issued a proclamation announcing that November 14, 2012 was "Consortium to Lower Obesity in Chicago Children" Day in Chicago. Read the proclamation here.
- CLOCC hosted two events on November 14 to talk about the future of childhood obesity prevention in Chicago. One was with over 35 corporations, and the other was with over a dozen philanthropic organizations. We look forward to continued conversations with both groups.
- CLOCC received congratulations from First Lady Michelle Obama for our tenth anniversary and for CLOCC Day in Chicago. Read her letter here.
- Congratulations to Urban Initiatives, the winner in the "We are CLOCC" photo contest. The winning organization was announced at the December 6 Quarterly Meeting.
- Browse the 10th anniversary album on Facebook, an archive of photos from the past ten years. Send photos to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have some to add.
- Read the letters of congratulations we have received:
- First Lady Michelle Obama
- Alderman Rey Colon, Chicago's 35th Ward
- Christopher Bolling, MD, FAAP, AAP Provisional Section on Obesity Executive Committee
- Dwayne Proctor, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Jeff Bartow, Southwest Organizing Project
- Jim Dower, Urban Initiatives
- Kelly Brownell, PhD, Rudd Center for Food Policy & Obesity, Yale University
- Larry Cohen, Prevention Institute
- Lynn Olson, PhD, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Martha Blaine and Marilyn Self, Community Council of Greater Dallas
- Sarah Messiah, PhD, MPH, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami
- Terry T-K Huang, PhD, MPH, College of Public Health, University of Nebraska
- Check out these videos of 10th anniversary congratulations:
- Keven Mosley-Koehler, Washtenaw County Public Health
- Kendall Stagg, Illinois Public Health Institute
- Rebecca Unger, Northwestern University and Northwestern Children's Practice
- Ivan Zavala, former Go Team member
- Sarah Strunk, Active Living by Design and Healthy Kids, Healthy Communities
- Angela Odoms-Young, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Jeff Sunderlin, YMCA of the USA
- Jen Kauper-Brown, Northwestern University
- Jennifer Herd, Chicago Department of Public Health
- Lucy Gomez-Feliciano, Logan Square Neighborhood Association
- Marice Ashe, ChangeLab Solutions
- Read the proclamation issed by Illinois Governor Pat Quinn in honor of our 10th anniversary.
CLOCC thanks our past and present funders for their generous support of our work:
- The Otho S.A. Sprague Memorial Institute
- Polk Bros. Foundation
- Lloyd A. Fry Foundation
- Chicago Community Trust
- Searle Funds at the Chicago Community Trust
- Michael Reese Health Trust
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Michael & Susan Dell Foundation
- BlueCross BlueShield of Illinois
- Kraft Foundation
- Stuart Family Foundation
- J.R. Albert Foundation
- Members of the Corporate Advisory Committee